I haven't written a lot about pregnancy on this blog, but as our due date looms (1.5 weeks to go!) and as this is my second pregnancy, I have found that I am reflecting a lot about how life is going to change in the next few weeks.
It is a distinctly different sort of anticipation this time around. Don't get me wrong - we are thrilled to be adding to our family and extremely excited to meet him and get to know him. But, having had a newborn before we also know better what to expect. Our perception of what life will be like in those first few weeks and months is (at least slightly) less naive. So I've written a few lists (I'm crazy about lists!) to help me process this change from being pregnant to having a newborn. We all know I won't have the time or energy to do it after he arrives! ( :
Things I will NOT miss about being pregnant:
Morning sickness, swollen ankles each night, a sore pelvis, back pain, only being allowed to sleep on my left side, waddling, getting easily out of breath from my lungs being so squished, bumping my belly hard into counters as I try to do simple things like wash a dish or chop an onion, sleepless nights full of leg cramps, watching stretch marks grow, sleeping on a shower curtain (just in case my water breaks in bed), the hormones, being THIS huge (seriously, my belly is so big I'm not even going to show you)
Things I WILL miss about being pregnant:
Feeling baby hiccups, the anticipation and miracle of life growing in you, people giving up their seats and holding open doors for me, great hair and nails and skin, the nesting instinct that has been making me uber-productive lately, having a good excuse to eat pretty much whatever I want, Nora hugging my belly and talking to her little brother via my belly button
Things I am NOT looking forward to:
Getting up every few hours for feedings, sore nipples, the physical recovery of labor and delivery, changing diapers - lots and lots of diapers, hormone swings, having less me-time, increasingly needing to ask Nora to wait while I care for her brother, the additional laundry, blowouts and mega spit-ups
Things I AM looking forward to once our baby arrives:
Meeting this little guy and seeing what he looks like, watching Nora love on her little brother, letting Ben carry him around instead of just me all the time, FINALLY knowing his name, the smell and super soft feel of clean baby hair, coming home and becoming a family of 4, Ben taking a bit of time off work, introducing our newest addition to family and friends, sleeping on my right side (or my back or my front!), being able to run around and jump and dance and wrestle with Nora again, my belly shrinking, seeing my toes and maybe even being able to reach them, a visit from Grandma Edsall, watching our son grow into a man
Would love to hear if you have anything to add from your own experience!
I can't wait to hear of the little guy's arrival! I think your lists are pretty right on. :) Hopefully he'll be here soon enough and you'll all adjust to life together quickly and easily!
ReplyDeleteOooo! I just remembered another one - I'm looking forward to not being limited to maternity clothes when I get dressed in the morning! (Okay, admittedly this may take a few months...)
ReplyDeleteI am trying to figure out how to get there as soon as I can. At this point it is summer. He'll be ready to play soccer then, right? Or that will be Nora. Either one.
ReplyDeleteGrandma can't wait to get there.
Woooohoooo! He is almost here! I cannot wait to celebrate with you! I cannot wait to see his picture (wish I was there to meet him in person!) and hear his name!!! I love hearing baby's names- such an honor to name your child! I love you and think of you often. PRAYING for you on this home stretch. xoxoxo.
ReplyDeleteAlso. Yeah. Cannot wait to sleep on my back and wear regular clothes and eat sushi and drink wine and hold this little bundle in my arms!
ReplyDeleteWow, this helps me more then you probably expected it to. :) I don't think I've looked at it like this. Of course then again I'm not sure I could since this is the first time for me. I still can't believe I will meet my daughter in just over 3 months. I keep having moments of extreme doubt and then excitement. All in all we can't wait to meet her...I just keep wondering if I can actually do this.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI am praying for a healthy little boy for both of you full of surprises and wonderment. Selfishly wishing I could create a way to get Mom and I there. Thought about robbing a bank but then thought again . . . that was a better idea. We did apply for Passport's so we would at least be official to come.
ReplyDeleteWe are so happy for all of you and are so looking forward to the pictures of our new grandson.
So exciting! I can't wait to hear the big news. Hang in there and be strong. You are going to rock this birth and you are already an amazing mother, so no worries there :)
ReplyDeleteYou are ready for this, D, you have everything you need. And Nora, I am sure, will be an enthusiastic assistant. SO happy for you, blessed to know you, and excited to meet Junior.
ReplyDeleteI cried a little reading this. A week and a half?! Already! I was thinking about you this morning, wondering when when when Baby Edsall #2 would be making his appearance. I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts the next few weeks. Can't wait to see pictures and learn his name!! Love you!
ReplyDeletebaby's breath. hmmm.
ReplyDeleteYou forgot the fact that you will be reeking like your own regurgitated body fluids for a while =)
I wish I could snuggle him.