Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Nice Change...

It is 48 degrees out right now.  The sky is radiantly blue.  And as long as you aren't in the midst of a gust of wind, the sun is actually... (I can't believe I'm typing this) warm.  Gasp!




It's a far cry from the usual Oxford winter days of monotone gray skies offering a backdrop to monotone gray stone buildings, cold, damp air, wind and penetrating frost.  You know, perpetual chill-in-your-bones kind of weather that makes people like me LIVE in their long johns and wool sweaters, CLING venomously to their hot water bottle, and DREAD leaving the warmth of my bed in the morning or the comfort of my living room each afternoon (almost as much as I dread seeing the month's heating bill!).  Although it happens to different people in varying degrees, this glum state of affairs around us penetrates our outlook, our countenance.  It can sap our hope and optimism.  It can drain our joy.

Biking home from work today in 48 degree bliss er... improvement ('bliss' for me would be more like 78) the sun beating down on my face and back, the bright blue sky illuminating the magnificent old buildings on my right and on my left, seeing tiny crocuses and snow drops beginning to break through the surface of the dark earth with promises of blooms to come, I nearly forgot about the pale gloom of yesterday and so many many many yesterdays before that.

I'd like to think that this is it.  This is the day when winter begins to turn to spring:  the days get longer, and warmer, we dry our clothes on the line outside rather than draped on the rack (which has become a rather permanent and un-attractive fixture) in my living room, Oxford's lovely gardens once again come to life, and we can actually enjoy a trip to the park or a walk by the river.

And while I know this isn't it, I'm going to scoot my chair in front of the window, grab my book and soak up as much vitamin D as today's sun has to offer... because who knows how long it will have to last!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, D! 48 degrees does indeed seem like bliss. Yesterday it got up to 36 degrees - just warm enough to rain all over all the piles of snow and create a layer of ice on all the sidewalks. Today we're back to 21 degrees and it's snowing . . . again. God still loves us here in Boston, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a nice 3 hours or so but the gray and gloom have already returned. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Deanna! I have been listening to the Weepies song, "I was made for sunny days", check it out on Grooveshark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful yet brief sharing of God's goodness.

    ReplyDelete