Monday, May 24, 2010

The First of Many

First, let me say that, unfortunately, the title of this post does not refer to the weather.

Today is a beautiful day. It is bright, sunny, clear…and WARM! That last one is the real novelty when living in Britain. To celebrate this fine weather, Nora and I went outside to play in the "garden" (which is actually a grassy area outside our flat). On our way to the grass, Nora tripped on a root and skinned her knee on some gravel. She started to get up, paused, and then started to cry. (It may not look like much, but it's a start.)



I picked her up and in about three seconds she was happy as a clam (if an animal without a brain can be considered happy). Also she was very tough when I cleaned the dirt out of her 'wound'. She even looks proud of herself for acquiring her first war-wound. (Please excuse the mess behind her…focus on the cute toddler instead.)



For some reason, this whole thing makes me very happy and I look forward to many skinned knees, dirty fingers, twisted ankles, and other minor mishaps (but no broken bones, please). These are the wages of exploration and adventure. It is the stuff that childhood is made of.


**Update**

2 hours later: While walking to the bus stop to meet mommy, Nora decided that her knees should match. When it rains, it pours.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it is the stuff of childhood! Jacob has had many mishaps already and I'm sure much more to come. Way to be a big girl, Nora!

    Oh, and the "mess behind her"? Seriously? You live with a toddler. Get used to it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like the girls are in sync. Marlee had her first skinned knee this week as well - she looked pretty cool with a bandaid on her knee :-) Way to go Nora!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One down and 5 emergency rooms to go to match Dad's record.

    ReplyDelete