Deanna's 2010 Book List
-------------- (in no particular order) ---------------
Out Stealing Horses Per Petterson
The Help Kathryn Stockett
Old Men at Midnight Chaim Potok
The Bell Jar Sylvia Plath
The Passport Herta Müller
Parable of the Sower Octavia Butler
A Walk in the Woods Bill Bryson
The Kite Runner Khaled Hosseini
The Time Traveler's Wife Audrey Niffenegger
Cold Tangerines Shauna Niequist
Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life Amy Krouse Rosenthal
In Dubious Battle John Steinbeck
The Book of Lights Chaim Potok
These are the ones I remember anyway.
I also tried to read a biography of Eglantyne Jebb called The Woman Who Saved the Children but it was so long and boringly written that I stopped reading about three quarters of the way through it despite the fact that I admire all that Eglantyne Jebb accomplished.
There are so many many more titles I wish I had found the time to get to this past year but alas, I can't spend ALL my time with my nose in a book. There's a whole big world out there full of interesting people and places waiting to be explored too! Not to mention my own sweet little girl that I can't get enough of!
What did you read? Any recommendations for me for 2011??
.

ha ha. I just wrote the same post on my blog =) Did you like Time Travelers Wife? I read it a few years ago and liked it.
ReplyDeleteThis year didn't really allow me the time to read much (Owen!) but in the past I read The Help and loved it! And I also loved the Time Traveler's Wife and The Kite Runner. Wish I could be more help on suggestions but not much here...
ReplyDeleteI recommend Operation Mincemeat! It is a historical book, but it reads like a thriller...I read it in 3 days:)
ReplyDeleteMistress of the Sun by Sandra Gulland (LOVED IT!)
ReplyDeleteSweeter Than All the World by Rudy Wiebe
Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers
Busmans Honeymoon by Dorothy Sayers
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay (have you read anything by him...so far I've loved everything I've read...five or six now, I think!)
Harry Potter x 7 (I was a little late to the party...)
The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews
Sailing to Sarantium and Lord of Emporers by Guy Gavriel Kay (again!)
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (again, LOVED it...bought House at Riverton, but haven't started it yet)
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (delightful!)
Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher (I think this is my fifth or seventh time...it's a bit of a December tradition now)
So wished we could have had this book talk in person...
ajt
I read Time Traveler's Wife and loved it. I also enjoyed Dear John - neither of which the movies did any justice. That's not a real shocker though. I read Revelation - twice, and still don't understand it. :) I read little, but enjoyed all of what I read!
ReplyDeleteLet's see, I enjoyed...
ReplyDelete"Right Ho, Jeeves" & "My Man Jeeves" by P.G. Wodehouse (and they're British, Deanna!)
"The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows (about the German occupation of British-held islands during WWII)
"Dewey" by Vicki Myron (it's really more about the author & the town than the cat)
"Victoria: Portrait of a Queen" by Lytton Strachey
"John Adams" by David McCullough
"My Life in France" by Julia Child & Alex Prud'Homme (I loved it!)
"Wives & Daughters" by Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell (it's just as good as the British miniseries, & that's saying something!)
...and some Jane Austen novels, my old favorites. :-) Now I want to try "The Time Traveler's Wife" since everyone on here seems to love it; thanks for the recommendation!