My most recent acquisition from the Wall of Hope here was this ratty old pair of toddler shoes. They were in pretty bad shape.
But I'm glad no one threw them out.
A quick trip through the washer and dryer and then a little fabric (from an old shirt I picked up at a second hand store) and two buttons later, they are pretty cute and the perfect shoes for Nora to romp around in!
This was a very satisfying project for me and a good reminder of how God intends to make all things new. You, me, and even this earth (which once was perfect and new but which we've all managed to abuse pretty badly.)
Ahh, sweet redemption. I am honored to contribute to it, in any small way I can.
Anyhow, I like this kind of recycling.
The old addage, "One man's trash is another man's treasure" is so true. There have been numerous times that I have seen things in the dumpster here and thought, "I bet someone else could have used that!" But off it goes to a land fill and someone else is left to spend money they don't need to. What a waste! I think I get this mindset from my Dad mostly. He is very good at making use of old things in new ways - over and over. He, like me, does not like waste. He'll change lightbulbs out of strings of Christmas lights (that could quite possibly be older than me!) when others would buy a new set every year or two just to avoid the hassle of finding the dead bulb. He won't throw away a tarp with a hole in it because while it isn't waterproof anymore, it can still be used to drag a big pile of leaves from the front yard to the compost pile in the back rather than taking 8 trips with the wheelbarrow or it could be used to drag a deer out of the woods or to hold down a load of debris that needs be taken to the dump so that it doesn't fly out all over the highway.
If he thinks there is even a remote possibility that he'll be able to find a use for something in the future, he keeps it. I admire that.
(Granted, there is a fine line between this and becoming the crazy pack-rat down the road who counts it a miracle every time he opens his garage door and then is actually able to get it shut again. You know, the guy that everyone eyes with a bit of suspicion, wondering, "Why does that guy need all that stuff? Weird." I don't think my dad is there... yet.)
There is another idea that is just as appealing to me but for different reasons -- working toward minimalism. I like the idea of living with less. I mean, how many different cleaning solutions do I really need?!? What is even in those?? What happened to vinegar, lemon juice, salt and a box of borax - which, (minus the borax) we all probably keep stocked anyhow and could be snatched from the kitchen and combined in a dozen ways to meet our cleaning needs?)
True minimalism means you rethink what you really need vs what you may just want in the moment. It requires thinking long-term. It means buying carefully - with extreme intentionality. No impulse buys. It can mean you spend less money, you borrow (or rent) instead of buy things that you wouldn't use very often, and (bonus!) there is less to pack and unpack should you move house! (We know all about moving.) A minimalist rarely runs across things in their kitchen, garage or even in a drawer that is taking up space but hasn't been used in 3 or 4 years (or worse, can't even be identified!). Not only is your house less cluttered but everything around you has a specific purpose (or two or three!) I love efficiency.
It can also mean that you depend less on stuff and more on ingenuity and creativity (to entertain, problem solve, etc.) That's appealing to me.
I don't think I will ever be a true minimalist though. I'm too much of a nester. I like having things around me that don't do a lot more than make my home feel cozy. Sometimes I want things just because they are cute. Period. And I'm okay with that.
Someday I'd like to strike a good balance between these two.
I'm curious, where do you fall on this continuum? Or maybe a better question would be, where would you like to fall?

Deanna,I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!!!! Way to go with the shoes! They look great. :-) I'm moving more towards the minimalist side; I lean that way now more than ever. I grew up with a lot of stuff around all the time and I found that clutter really stressed me out. Our house was always clean but we just had so.much.stuff. Going out on my own I made a mental pact with myself to live simply and live with less. I spend some weekends doing a Good Will pile, a recycle pile and a garage sale pile and then I immediately move them out of the house!
ReplyDeleteAnyways, love you, love the shoes, love this post!
This post made me laugh because I have recently come to realize this about your family. I have gotten mad at nick MULTIPLE times for either taking things out of the dumpster or out of someone's trash pile on the side of the road. Then I was talking to your dad once and he was talking about how he did the same thing. So that's where you get it... =)
ReplyDeleteI love the shoes by the way! Just in time for Earth Day.
I am married to a minimalist. It's one of the things I most admire, and that most drives me crazy about him. But let me tell you, having fewer things (though not few enough, mind you), made our move yesterday much quicker and more efficient than it would have been otherwise. And I have begun to think that you can be both a minimalist and a "nester". Minimalism doesn't have to be cold and, well, minimal (I'm sure you agree) - instead it can be beautiful, turning old things new, creating new things yourself, gradually building a home that is coherent, both aesthetically and philosophically, if you know what I mean. But then, this is not a "minimalist" comment . . . Luv you three.
ReplyDelete